My illustration portfolio is currently lacking decent storyline based drawings, specifically architectual panels and emotive work. I have for the past week been scribbing away at meandering drabbles that are getting me absolutely nowhere, and have decided- look, I just do the pretty. I like drawing, it doesn't hurt my head as much as writing. Maybe one of these days inspiration will strike me, but until then.... *branefrozen, ow*. Instead I come here, begging for help.
I'm using fan fiction/art to ease myself in gently into the practise of drawing scripts; I've chosen The Authority as it seems less threatening somehow then the big guns at Marvel/DC, probably something to do with it being a relatively young comic and suffering from major continuity issues. Or it could be I just like drawing extreme violence; who knows. Of course I am making no money from this exercise, in the spirit of fan endevors everywhere. This is just practise for me. Yes Mr. Wildstorm, they all belong to you. I'll play with your toys nicely.
I've worked out it will take me a month (there abouts) for ten-fifteen pages in A3 sizing, give or take the research; I have other obligations that keep me busy as well, mainly working. So it will just be drawn in my trusty 2H and 3B, so just line art; I suck at colouring and ruin it somehow everytime anyway. This is an irony considering my job is to design bright! Loud! printed clothing... Go figure.
Anyway, if anyone's interested in writing the script for this (of couse non-profit based) adventure, hi! I'm a willing artist. I have some ideas and stipulations to what I want to draw; they're sort of ideas I've had which I'm not sure work. All after the cut.
1) For it to be Midnighter heavy, as if this is fan service I want it to be about a character I adore. Angie is fun to draw too, but Midnighter is better :)
2) To be some head kicking- it's the Midnighter, it has to remain in canon. Besides, I have all these Tae Kwon Do/Judo how-to books that I'm going to force friends to recreate, as I need practise for drawing fight scenes too.
3) For the Apollo/Midnighter dynamic to be explored in a similar way the Emma Frost/ Cyclops and Jessica Jones/Luke Cage relationships are handled by decent writers. (Yes Bendis and Whedon, I am talking about you.) I regard them as very married, but I don't think anyone disagrees with me here on that front.
4) For Apollo to be decently written and not suffer from the Invisible Girl syndrome as he is now. By this, I don't mean I'm reducing him to the "little wife" role, but in the sense of him yet to be written to any potential. In the 60s, Fantastic Four comics featured Sue Storm (aka Invisible Girl) being either: a)married and b)rescued. That's all she did. In the 70s F4 fell in the hands of a decent writer who I can't remember right now (sorry my Marvel geek fu is slow today.) Sue was then blossomed into this kick-ass female with awesomer powers and somone who in turn grew a backbone, becoming Invisible Woman. This is a long, rambling way of saying: no Apollo painting and/or basket weaving. Actually, if anyone can think of a good way of explaining the poor bastard's weirdly mid-life crisis-esque escape in art evening classes, that would be pretty awesome, as I can't find an excuse yet for what Ennis wrote.
5) For it to be Paris based. Because Paris to me is a very isolating city if you're on your own (i did tell you about the emo, right?) And also: Parisian architecture is pretty to draw. And come on- Midnighter in a very romantic city, dealing with Parisians... Funny!
6) I'd like to try and draw Midnighter/Apollo/Whoever with some kind of emotion other then head kicky. This is going to be hard in regards to Midnighter, but I like a challenge.
Right then, that's all I have so far. I'm just character sketching now. As I am away from London (and my studio) this weekend I can't show examples of any of my illustration work. My fashion stuff is online and shoved here www.myspace.com/soignee if interested, and I have all of two illustrations here on www.maersian.com, a website that one of these days will house my portfolios online. One of these days.
Email me here if you like: email@example.com.
Mods, delete this if out of context...